I havent written in a while. The reason? Ive been happy, and distracted, and busy…just a number of things. In the past year Ive found myself busy in a job that I love, and happy in a relationship that I didn’t expect. Dont get me wrong, ive still been baking…Its just different when you have someone to bake for.. you kind of stop baking for yourself. Relationships are distracting. Sometimes you end up stuck in a rut with someone you would otherwise be happy with if you weren’t ignoring the things you love, be it yourself, a hobby, or whatever. Without going into detail..in the past week, a lot of things changed in my life. Things that I dont have control of. Dont worry, this isn’t going to get a whole lot sappier. In fact, its going to get a little ridiculous.
Ok, so, you know that shame spiral you can fall into from time to time? There can be many reasons for this.. a break up, loss of a loved one, shitty work day, or its just that time of the month and OMG ALL OF A SUDDEN EVERYTHING SUCKS. Lets fix this.
Today, im writing about how to deal with ‘the break-up sads’. Its a shitty topic, I know, Its just terrible. Its not uncommon to hear someone in this position say things like ” I cant sleep, I cant eat…Im soooo depressed!!” I truthfully never understood this… the sleep part, sure, sometimes its hard to shut your brain off at night where there is a lot on your mind. I get that. Its the eating part I never understood. How can someone not want to eat?? Its one of the small and wonderful joys in life that not only replenishes you physically, but a good slice of pie or a big bowl of mac & cheese can bring a smile to your face in a way nothing else can. This is why comfort foods exist.
Well guess what… I lost my apetite for almost a week due to stress, and confusion, and sadness. Not only did I lose my apetite, but i lost 7 lbs…like, super fast. Some girls might love that, building their self esteem back up by looking in the mirror thinking “Yeah Im heartbroken…but at least I look skinny.” I really dont care how skinny I look when I feel like crap. Life Is weird sometimes. And Ive decided…
FORGET ALL THIS ‘NOT EATING’ BS. IM GOING TO MAKE AND EAT A CHOCOLATE MERINGUE PIE. DONT CARE. I DESERVE IT. I LOST 7 LBS SO I CAN TOTALLY JUSTIFY DOING THIS.
you know what makes me feel better than losing weight? pie. pie fixes everything. Sure, it doesnt make up for what you’re probably lacking nutritionally…take a vitamin. fuck it.
Would that be my answer 2 months from now when I have a better idea of where my life is going? eh, maybe not, but for right now…its the best thing to do for myself.
So when you are sad,
CHIN UP! BAKE SOMETHING! TAKE A LITTLE PRIDE IN YOUR CRAFT!
Here are my instructions on how to cope when life gets ya down.
- Get yourself an cute little apron..( there are some adorable ones here )
- Find a recipe for the pie of your dreams/ or use this recipe (chocolate seems obvious to me, as its actually proven to be a mood enhancer)
- Get out of the house and go to the fancy market! Spoil yourself! If you’re doing chocolate, invest in some really amazing cocoa powder. If your doing a fruit pie, take your time in the produce section, buy organic, and be adventurous. For me, just seeing all the natural beauty, color, and variety of the fruits and veggies can cheer me up. The world is a super cool place sometimes.
- Buy yourself some fragrant flowers..and why not? take them home, arrange them in a vase, and sniff often. At the very least, while your at the market, just sniff…dont buy. If the have one of those rose freezer things, stick your head in it….it is awesome. who cares if you look crazy, they dont know what you’ve just been though. Attach a new scent to the memory of getting over it and being an empowered lady.
- Buy a nice bottle of red wine…it will compliment the chocolate AND get you drunk. double win. Im not really a big drinker, so Ill probably skip this…mainly to avoid making a wine drunk fool of myself because I have, like, zero tolerance for booze.
- Put on some make up! No doubt you’ve been slacking on your personal hygiene.. get it together. Fix your face. For you…not for anyone else. It may seem shallow, but if your feeling rejected, remind yourself that you dont always look like just crawled out from under a big rock of sad.
- make up done? check. apron on? check. flowers arranged? check. Glass of wine? check. Now get to baking. The pie crust will take some time in the fridge because it needs to chill…this will leave you with some times on your hands. So while the dough is chillin’, call your besties. Invite them over for a little pie and wine. You’ll be glad to have some people to vent to. They wont mind because, not only do they love you and thats what friends are for, they get free wine and pie.
- I highly suggest you watch ‘Funny Girl’. There is just something about that scene where Barbara Streisand sings ‘dont rain on my parade’ that will have you beaming with a sense of self confidence and possibilities for the future.
- Remember to always love yourself… i mean, seriously, you just made an awesome pie from scratch. This isn’t a skill that many women have anymore. You’re a catch..REMEMBER THAT.